Following last week’s article on The Top High Schools In Zimbabwe, I decided to post information on colleges and universities in Zimbabwe as well.
Zimbabwean colleges and universities offer certificates, diplomas, high national diplomas, undergraduate degrees and post graduate studies. These include bachelors, honors, master, doctorate degrees, post graduate certificates etc. Minimum entry requirements to colleges and universities in depend on the specific programme, but generally includes A’ level pass, O’ level pass, previous certificates and work experience. Application forms are normally accompanied by an application fees.
Colleges and universities do not have enough accommodation to cater for all the students hence most students stay out of campus. Although the government offer loans to students, scholarships and grants are limited. Students have to source funds for tuition, accommodation, food and overall needs.
More information on the colleges and training institutions can be found on institution’s websites or from the Ministry of Higher and Tertiary Education.
Here is the list of universities, location and private/state run; followed by lists of other colleges.
- Africa University (AU), Mutare, Private.
- Bindura University of Science Education, Bindura (BUSE), State.
- Catholic University in Zimbabwe (CUZ), Harare, Private.
- Chinhoyi University of Technology (CUT), Chinhoyi, State.
- Great Zimbabwe University (GZU) [formerly Masvingo State University], Masvingo, State.
- Gwanda State University, Gwanda, State
- Harare Institute of Technology (HIT), Harare, State.
- Lupane State University, Lupane (LSU), State.
- Midlands State University (MSU), Gweru, State.
- National University of Science and Technology (NUST), Bulawayo, State.
- Reformed Church University (RCU), Masvingo, Private.
- Solusi University, Bulawayo (SU), Private.
- University of Zimbabwe (UZ), Harare, State.
- Women’s University in Africa (WUA), Harare, Private.
- Zimbabwe Open University (ZOU), Harare with centres in every province, State.
- Zimbabwe Ezekiel Guti University (ZEGU), Harare, Private.
Primary School Teacher’s Colleges
- Bondolfi (Private), Masvingo
- Joshua Nkomo, Gwanda
- Marymount, Mutare
- Masvingo, Masvingo
- Morgan, Harare
- Morgenster (Private), Masvingo
- Nyadire (Private), Mutoko
- Seke, Chitugnwiza
- United College of Education (UCE), Bulawayo
- Mkoba, Gweru
- Madziwa, Shamva
Secondary School Teacher’s Colleges
- Belvedere, Harare
- Hillside, Bulawayo
- Mutare, Mutare
Government Polytechnic Colleges
- Bulawayo Poly
- Gweru Poly
- Harare Poly
- Joshua Mqabuko Nkomo, Gwanda
- Kushinga Phikelala Poly, Marondera
- Kwekwe Poly
- Masvingo Poly
- Mutare Poly
There are other also other international universities and colleges operation in Zimbabwe, hundreds of private technical colleges, government and private industrial training centres. Professional boards offer professional training and certifications. Most government parastatal organisations and other private companies run their own training centres for their staff.
Before applying to study at any institution one must make sure that the college is registered by the Ministry of Higher and Tertiary Education and that its course or programmes are accredited. This can save you a lot of time and money.
Please list below any additional good college or university, whether it is in or outside Zimbabwe.
© Copyright 2013 by It’s My Footprint, www.itsmyfootprint.com.